Sunday 29 April 2012

Migration: White-winged Terns, European Honey-buzzards and more

Today started well today when I found a Greyish Eagle-Owl (Bubo africanus cinarescens) in a neem tree next to the entrance to my office.

Greyish Eagle-Owl

Later, I took some work down to Afex Camp on the White Nile in Juba - better than sitting in the office.  Afex is perhaps the best place to watch birds by the river, but today was exceptional.  The day had dawned grey, cloudy and wet, brightening in late morning.  I arrived soon after midday and soon noticed plenty of birds of prey over the far bank.  I guessed that they were mainly Yellow-billed Kites and Hooded Vultures.  Mostly they were, soaring along with several tens of Marabou Storks, and 1-2 Wahlberg's Eagles, African White-backed Vultures, plus a Long-crested Eagle.  Then I saw a 'buzzard': much more likely to be a European Honey-buzzard, I reckoned.  It was indeed this species and soon I found more, all moving north beyond the east bank on the river, and none crossed to the near bank.  At one point I saw 12 in the air together - and this a species for which there was only one record for South Sudan prior to last year, when Tom Jenner and I encountered several on migration at about the same time, also east of the White Nile.


European Honey-buzzards

Part of a flock of 12 European Honey-buzzards

The dull weather and a brisk north-easterly wind may have contrived to push the birds close to Juba.  I wonder if they use the river as a migration guide and keep to the east bank.

I chatted to a couple, newly arrived in Juba.  A nice coincidence as they were John and Lesley Henderson.  Lesley commented on one of my recent blogs. Welcome to Juba.

There was more to come.  Big flocks of White-winged Terns started moving downriver, flying fast, low over the river to start with.  Later, at least one flock spiralled up before continuing northwards.  The biggest flock was of about 2,000 birds and I estimated roughly 6,000 altogether in three hours from 12:30 hrs to 15:30 hrs.


Mass movement of White-winged Terns

A very quick estimate suggests that the flock in the photo immediately above may hold 1,500 birds. Other birds on the move included Woolly-necked Storks (a flock of six); Abdim's and Yellow-billed Storks; some bee-eaters that were mainly unidentified apart from a few Northern Carmines; and a few hirundines, probably mainly Sand Martins.  Over the river were half a dozen Rock Pratincoles and some noisy Senegal Thick-knees.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mark, came across your blog yesterday as I'm trying to identify some birds I saw on a recent trip to Eritrea. Really enjoyed browsing your blog and you've got some really good photos. I've bookmarked it for the future.

    This is really cheeky of me, but as you obviously know a lot more about African birds than I do (which isn't difficult as I know nothing!) I was wondering if you could help me out a bit? Although my photos are all rather fuzzy and dark so it could be a challenge. Anyway I'd be grateful for any suggestions you may have. Ta!

    http://mitzimaybe.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes sure happy to look at photos and will try to help.

      Mark

      Markmallal@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Wow - I am so envious of the owl. The tern flock is also something I would like to have seen. The numbers passing up here in Khartoum has dropped off considerably and I was wondering if most had already passed. It seems that there are many yet to come.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom

      Yes, would be interesting to know whether the terns follow the Nile at low altitude. I would guess though that many fly very high - indeed out of sight. My birds were seen on a fairly dull day with rain earlier and perhaps in the area the birds had come from.

      The owl was there again today. Could hardly be more convenient...

      Mark

      Delete
  3. The tern flock is stunning, must have been spectacular to see.
    Get far smaller groups over here in Darwin (peak of five so far)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, impressive tern counts. I was happy with 150 Arctic Terns!

    ReplyDelete