Sunday 22 April 2012

The Mundri road

The Mundri road heads west from Juba. I've only birded along it once before: the bush is extremely degraded due to wood extraction for charcoal.  Nevertheless, last year it turned up the only Emin's Shrike and almost the only Green-backed Eremomelas I've seen around Juba.  Yesterday I found three Fox Kestrels near a rocky outcrop about 15 kms out of town.  This may well be a 'stake-out' for this species as the habitat seems suitable for breeding.  About 35 kms out I worked over the area where I'd found the first two species mentioned above.  I was unable to track down either, but did find White-winged Black Tits, Chestnut-crowned Sparrow-Weaver and Black-bellied Firefinch, none of which are particularly easy to locate in the Juba area. 


Chestnut-crowned Sparrow-Weaver

Despite the poor habitat, I also saw a Yellow-billed Shrike as well as another Lesser Grey Shrike (after the good showing last weekend).  Starlings have started to reappear. I thought at the time that they were Lesser Blue-eared, but the photo below appears to show the distinctive large yellow eye/ eyering of Purple Starling, Lamprotornis purpureus.  I was also able to photograph a confiding immature Bateleur.

Purple Starling

Immature Bateleur

Lastly, I noticed last year that Black Scimitarbills have broad whitish tips to about five outer primaries, a feature not shown in Stevenson and Fanshawe's 'Birds of East Africa', though clearly visible on at least one photo, from The Gambia, that I found on the internet. I noticed the same feature on this bird I photographed yesterday.

Black Scimitarbill

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mark,just came across your blog, very interesting. Have recently arrived in Juba and have an interest in birds. Staying out at Acacia Village in Gudele, lovely birds here especially red cheeked cordon bleu. Will keep popping in to see what you are up to.
    Regards, Lesley H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lesley

    Let me know if you want to come out birding, either walking on an island in the Nile, along the Nile, or driving out. Email: Markpat 123@btinternet.com

    ReplyDelete