Sunday 6 May 2012

Nimule road trip

Yesterday was a last chance to do some local birding before departing South Sudan for three weeks' leave.  I went along the Nimule road about 15 kms, partly to check if Palearctic migrants were still coming through.  Apart from a very distant flock of what were possibly Alpine Swifts, I saw no such species. 

The highlight, if you can call it that, was a new species for me, Pennant-winged Nightjar.  Unfortunately it was 'roadkill' so I cannot tick it.  From the photos, it seems to be an young male starting its moult into breeding plumage, though the spectacular elongated 9th primaries have not yet replaced the juvenile feathers. I suspect that the species is quite common and will look out for it when I return.

Pennant-winged Nightar, sadly deceased

Other species included a flock of three rather shy Sun Larks, a species I've seldom encountered here, and a rare sighting of two very mobile Green-backed Eremomelas, which I failed to photograph. 

Sun Lark

Then the rain came on, perhaps the heaviest yet this year, and I retreated to Juba.  In three weeks' time the weavers and bishops will no doubt be developing breeding plumage, whilst the already wet bushland will be becoming hard to walk through as the grass grows high and dense.

4 comments:

  1. Hope you had a good weekend despite the rain, Mark. Had a lovely surprise here at Acacia Village today when a flock of some kind of stork flew low overhead then circled on thermals for a while before disappearing. About 10 or so, maybe white storks, not sure., lovely to see anyway.
    Hope you have a good holiday. Would love to come out birding with you one weekend when you get back.
    Regards, Lesley H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lesley

    Maybe they were Yellow-billed Storks?

    I'll be in touch when I back. It's cold and wet here in Sussex.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mark, I have an opportunity to visit South Sudan at the end of the year for a birding trip to Boma National Park and the Nile north past Bor, into the southern section of the Sudd. Is it possible to get in touch with you via e-mail as I have a few questions I'd like to ask you?

    And great Blog by the way, really interesting to follow your birding, I'm sure there are many more species waiting to be found in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mark,

    I'm also considering a visit to South Sudan and would like to contact you by email if that is possible? My email address is callanafrica@gmail.com

    Thanks
    Callan

    ReplyDelete