Saturday 16 June 2012

Old Nimule road after morning rain

This morning there was a rainstorm that started just as I was about to leave the house.  I had a coffee and set off an hour later, going across the Nile over Juba bridge and driving slowly down the old Nimule road, stopping frequently.   Much of the habitat was scattered trees with grassland, although many areas are being cleared for cultivation.


The grasses were attracting flocks of Northern Red and Black-winged Bishops as well as the first Red-billed Queleas I've come across in South Sudan, and a few Red-headed Queleas, only my second record.  All these species were coming into, or had attained, breeding plumage.


Male Northern Red Bishops coming into breeding plumage



Male Red-headed Queleas

Male Red-billed Quelea

There were several weaver species, certainly Northern Masked and Village Weavers, one Spectacled Weaver (only my second), and what appears to be a Heuglin's Masked Weaver.

Presumed Heuglin's Masked Weaver

I saw a Long-tailed Cormorant flying low not far off the road and went to investigate.  There was a small pond that produced a good find: a Lesser Moorhen.  It was extremely shy, so I struggled to get even these photos.


A very shy Lesser Moorhen

Whilst there was still light rain falling I came across this dejected-looking Long-crested Eagle.  On the way back, once the sun was out, it was much more dignified.


Wet Long-crested Eagle

That's more like it...

No comments:

Post a Comment